Tuesday, February 25, 2014

You moved where? How I ended up here.





My mom had been suggesting I move to Nigeria for a while. As you may or may not be aware, I had been living in Korea for quite some time. I knew it was time to leave, but I was being stubborn. You see life was comfortable there, and while I could not do what I dreamed of, I had everything I needed to be physically satiated, although mentally (when I allowed myself a moment with my thoughts) I was torn and confused.

But why Nigeria?

For people who have known me a long time, this is not such a surprising move, and when I explain my background a bit, you will understand why. But, first, I should tell you that despite the fact I was teaching English in Korea, my first degree is in Neuroscience and my master's is in Epidemiology. For as long as I can remember I have been fascinated with science (biology and genetics being my favorite subjects), the human body and psyche (love me some psychology), human health and disease (this is where the MPH in Epi comes in), and it's interaction with culture (anthropology) and socioeconomic factors (sociology and environmental health). In fact, my major's full name "Neuroscience and Behavioral Biology" was really just a fancy name for a triple major in Bio, Psych and Anthro. I "discovered" Public Health while working in a healthcare facility in New York, and somehow decided that health was a basic human right, not privilege, and thus an MPH seemed like the next logical step. I was fascinated by just how broad the field is, ranging from health law to social issues, to environmental health and bio-statistics. Most importantly, I was surrounded by several like minded individuals that made me feel alive. We held debates, organized protests, and fostered ideas on how to change the world. I was recognized for my intelligence, I even turned down admission to Columbia University so that I could stay at BU, finish my MPH early, continue my job at Harvard and eventually, have a paper published.




Then what were you doing in Korea?

It sort of started out as a joke. 2008 was a bad year for most people, but especially graduating with a degree in Public Service. It was the first time in my life I was ever rejected for anything (I was a finalist for a fellowship at the Centers for Disease Control that I ended up losing to a PhD candidate). I had foolishly quit my job in Boston in hopes of getting one in Atlanta, when disaster struck. It would later become known as the greatest economic recession since the Great Depression, but at the time, I just knew it as my depression. No one was hiring, and eventually I started falling into my own depression. I took a job at the local mall just to have a little income (yes, from Masters to mall worker, and there are many people in America who have to suffer this indignity). Whenever I searched for jobs I would see ads on the side, "Teach English in Korea". Well earlier that year, I had gone to visit my (now ex-)boyfriend in Japan when he was doing that, my first foray into Asia, and I was fascinated. I wanted to see more. I joked that if I got a job in Korea first, I would move there. And I did, so I did. Ironically, not many people know I was offered a job at the CDC just before I left, but I turned it down to move to Korea and keep my promise to myself. And I have no regrets. It was the first time I did something selfish, truly for myself, walked on the wild-side so to speak. Before then, I was always a goody-two shoes. I defied logic (and my parents) and moved to Korea. Korea taught me so much about myself, and I loved it, but in the end, being an English teacher was never my dream and after 5 years I finally let it go. (You can read about my adventures here.)


So back to Nigeria... wait what?

Ah yes, so, if you have any idea what public health is, Africa is the current hotbed. It's been deemed the dark continent and while it is not as bad as what is televised, the truth is that help is very much needed here. At some point in your public health career, you will directly or indirectly be involved with work in Africa, I can guarantee it. But, as you (hopefully) know, Africa is a continent, and Nigeria is a country in it. So why would I move there. Because I have direct ties with Nigeria. I have family here (more on that later) and many of the worlds most successful NGOs are based here. Of course I was terrified to move here - it's a country I don't know (as) well (as I should). And no matter what I do I will stand out here thanks to lighter skin. Lastly my body hates heat in all forms, so why move to a sub-Saharan country. Long story short, to follow my dreams. And it's been challenging, it has its ups and downs, but for the moment, it's where I call home.

2 comments:

  1. familiar story in a way....at the expense of being banished from your blog...you forgot to mention you are also Nigerian by blood and last name...lets not go Tiger Wood cablasian ...we need pple like you to identify with us...in hope that we would be taken seriously for once

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha you're jumping ahead. Next blog post in the works explains my ties to Nigeria, heritage and all. Patience my dear Jide!!!

    ReplyDelete